Sunday, May 18, 2008

Come to Mexico, pour your heart out!

I don't know if you've noticed the airplane that's been flying around Ottawa lately, trailing a colourful "México" banner behind it.


I first noticed it last weekend while riding by the Tulip Festival with my friends. But the Tulip Festival wasn't the first audience that came to mind when I saw the banner.

Immediately, I thought that this was an attempt to whitewash Mexico's reputation after the drawn-out Brenda Martin controversy. Quite a tacky attempt at that.


Reading the news again today, they'll have to pull out the ol' plane again, as a Canadian has been gunned down in Mexico. While at least this incident wasn't the fault of the Mexican authorities, there seems to be neither interest nor ability to track down this person's murderer(s).

"Mexico: Come for the sun, stay for the ... well, we just won't let you leave!"

- RG>

No comments: