Friday, September 24, 2010

Only for hip, urban, planners

I'd heard the term "forced road" used in City Hall transportation meetings before. Since it was in the context of "Goulbourn forced road"--i.e. someplace I didn't expect to find myself anywhere soon--I didn't pay the term too much attention.

Then the other day I heard a more recent--and local--reference to the term regarding Richmond Road. I looked it up, and didn't find it in any online dictionary.

I did a google search and had to dig around. Apparently it's primarily a Canadian/Ontario term.

I was quite pleased with myself when the definition I provided was accepted by Urban Dictionary.

I was even more amused by the mugs, t-shirts, coasters and other "forced road" souvenirs you can buy. They have an interesting software that displays the word and definition on the product as though it were a picture, with the text curving with the folds.

Not sure what a forced road actually is? Duh, look it up!

- RG>

1 comment:

JuliaR said...

Having practised residential real estate (1986-1995), I am familiar with the term. Out of curiosity, I wondered if there had been any cases about forced roads but since I don't have access to LexisNexis, I had only the free online Supreme Court Reports to look at. There is only one case that I found, in which "forced road" is mentioned and it is only in passing, as a boundary of the lands over which the dispute raged.

It's
Eadie v. Brantford (Township), [1967] S.C.R. 573
at
http://csc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/1967/1967scr0-573/1967scr0-573.html

Ha ha! The captcha word for this entry is "gradme"!