Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Streetcar ties under Bank St.?

On my way home from work today, I went to check out the construction on Bank Street. According to the City's Road Work and Street Closures page, it will be closed off until June 8.

I got more than I bargained for. With my keen eye, I noticed some wood about a foot or so under the surface on the West side of the pit. I am speculating that this is the remnants of old streetcar ties.

I've got a photo album for the Bank Street reconstruction project, and an older one with photos of the Wellington-Laurier section of Bank Street that was done over the previous two years. (Since I didn't go that way very often, I didn't have many photos of that area)

I've had mixed luck embedding Picasa photos in my Blogger entries, but here goes. Unlike the Blogger images, where you can simply click the image to zoom, you'll have to follow the link to the Picasa page and click "download" to view the full image.

You can also just go to the gallery and view the whole set of photos. I have captions on each photo describing what they are. The greater variety of photos in the gallery also provide better context.









Assuming these are streetcar ties, it would be great if they could be preserved!

- RG>

No comments: