Thursday, May 29, 2008

Rare kudos to the "fucking" Citizen

While I rarely praise the Ottawa Citizen (its fawning over the city's latest Mess Transit plan leaves much to be desired), I must admit that I was impressed when I saw Glen McGregor's article "Aide okay with her dismissal", discussing the dismissal of a Conservative MP's aide after she purchased tickets in the name of the MP's office for a Canadian indie film "Young People Fucking".

The praise goes to the Citizen for not censoring the F-word, as the CBC sheepishly did in their article, "Tory MP's assistant fired over controversial movie tickets".

Furthermore, CBC's article, "Aboriginal protesters freed from jail by Ontario court ruling", abbreviates one of the First Nation's names to "KI" (made further ambiguous by their choice of sans-serif font), where the Citizen (which also prints on paper) has the courtesy to print out "Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug" before referring to the abbreviated form in "Sharbot Lake protesters released from jail".

This of course, is merely a comparison of terminology. I appreciate the CBC's commenting feature, despite the racist, ignorant, egocentric hicks it attracts. If only my browser were compatible with its login feature, I'd show that bluenoser_85 a piece of my--more logical--mind. Where he suggests "if you break the law you should be punished. Plain and simple", I would recommend a law that makes commenting on the CBC website by users named "bluenoser_85" a crime punishable by a 6 month sentence. It's easy for me to obey that law, but if he breaks it he should be punished. "Plain and simple."

Sigh. Ignorami.

- RG>

No comments: